Psari Plaki (ψάρι πλακί) Baked Fish
- 2 pounds cod (or other white fish like halibut or tilapia)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 leeks (using only the white parts)
- 1 cup of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the juice of one lemon over the cod. Lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or saucepan. Sauté the onions, garlic, leeks, and celery (plus some of the celery leaves) until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes. Stir in the parsley. Season generously with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Place the cod in a ceramic baking dish. Cover the cod with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with oregano. Top with thin lemon slices.
- Bake until fish becomes flaky, about 40 minutes. Garnish with the remaining parsley if desired.